The Caltowie Bowling Club was formed at a meeting in April 1926.
Twenty-six prospective members were present Mr. J.H. Both was elected as President and Mr. R. Rees as Secretary.
A portion of Mr. D Blunsden’s property was purchased (formerly a coach building works) and mainly through voluntary labour, a green was planted and officially opened by the President J.H. Both in November 1927
The club was affiliated with the R.A.B.A. in 1926.
The first clubhouse was built by H. Larsson in 1928 and the afternoon tea room added in 1954-55.
The first clubhouse was built by H. Larsson in 1928
The present clubhouse was erected in 1976, with a storage room and toilets added in 1988-89.
During these years, the club has registered some 331 male and 108 lady members.
The ladies club only formed in 1958.
In the early years, the club drew many members from Appila. At present, the club numbers approximately 50 members.
Over the years, the club has achieved four Boucher, three Mahood, and one Royal premierships and four Blieschke shields as well as a double premiership in 2003-04.
The ladies have had six successes, three consecutively in the 1970s.
Past Association Champions men include M. Holland, N. Royal (twice) and for the ladies M. McMahon and J Larsson.
To celebrate their 90th birthday the club is holding a luncheon on Sunday, April 9, combined with the club wind-up at 12 noon.
An invitation is extended to all past and present members to attend. The club will require responses for catering purposes and ask persons interested in attending to contact Doug Henderson 8665 5088 or Tim Lehmann 0408 945 007, by April 1, 2017
The club looks forward to celebrating this great milestone with many people.