The cost of damage from a hay shed fire near Mintaro yesterday is estimated at about $280,000, according to SA CFS.
Just before 1.30pm on Thursday, January 4, CFS crews were called to the fire on a private property about two kilometres south-west of the town.
A total of eight appliances and 31 personnel were called to the scene and continued to monitor the fire throughout the night.
At around 6pm, CFS conducted backburning around the hay shed to contain the fire and reduce available fuels.
The cause of the fire was believed to be spontaneous combustion, resulting from damp hay.
The resultant damage to the 20 square metre shed and 2000 large square hay bales was currently estimated at $280,000 by CFS.
A CFS spokesperson said crews would continue to monitor the fire, with two appliances still on site this morning.
“With the warm weather, particularly tomorrow (Saturday), our biggest concern is going to be if it reignites with that hot, windy weather,” they said.
A smoke warning for surrounding areas remains in place.
Residents are advised to close all doors and windows and stay indoors if you suffer from any respiratory or cardiac conditions.